Job description for Research Director at Centre for Social Impact and Philanthropy, Ashoka University, India :
About Ashoka University:
Ashoka University is a private, nonprofit university. An unprecedented example of collective public philanthropy in India, it is a pioneer in its focus on the Liberal Arts. The University offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes across the humanities, social sciences and fundamental natural sciences. The aim is to help students become well-rounded individuals who are able to think critically about issues from multiple perspectives, communicate effectively and go on to become ethical self-aware leaders with a commitment to public service. Ashoka has built collaborations with University of Pennsylvania, University of Michigan, Carleton College, King’s College London, Sciences Po, UC Berkeley, Trinity College Dublin and Yale University.
About the Centre for Social Impact and Philanthropy:
The University’s focus is on attracting the brightest students, putting them under the guidance of the most inspirational faculty, and developing a global reputation for innovative research. Faculty and students come from across the country, and the world, and Ashoka is committed to maintaining the highest intellectual and academic standards. Along with having a robust academic programme, the University is home to Centres of Excellence that address some critical areas of relevance to society, and India in particular. This includes the Centre for Social Impact and Philanthropy (CSIP), which aims at being the foremost Centre in India for research and capacity-building towards the critical advancement of social impact.
The Assignment and Role:
Research Director (RD) should have an advanced degree in social sciences with 10-15 years of experience, preferably both in academia as well as applied contexts. The RD has to demonstrate the vision to enable CSIP to become a thought shaper and leading voice in the space of philanthropy and social impact.
The ideal candidate has to have an exceptional ability to grasp the complexity of social issues, with a strong focus on philanthropy and social development, and unpack their various dimensions. S/he should be able to draw upon the multi-disciplinary themes and topics to lend richness to the research and teaching agenda of the Centre.
The office of the RD would: ·
– Shape the research agenda of CSIP by identifying relevant contextual issues within India and across the globe
– Make CSIP a rich curator of knowledge, data and research
– Engrain the culture for scientific research rigour at the Centre
– Help conceptualize and craft teaching programs and workshops
– Find opportunities for partnerships and collaborations with stakeholders across various constituencies in India and internationally, including academia, civil society, philanthropists and the government amongst others
– Draw upon existing expertise and resources of Ashoka University Departments and Centres
– Develop a vibrant calendar of events to convene various stakeholders for CSIP
To apply, please mail the following documents to email@example.com :
- Two samples of your work