VU University Amsterdam is seeking applications for a fully funded PhD dissertation research position on Philanthropic Crowdfunding for the Cultural Heritage Sector.
Job title: PhD-position Organization Science Philanthropic Crowdfunding for the Cultural Heritage Sector
VU unit: Faculty of Social Sciences
Vacancy number: 14127
Date of publication: April 3, 2014
Closing date: April 24, 2014
The PhD project will focus on characteristics of individual crowdfunders and of crowdfunding projects that influence donation behavior. Specifically, the research investigates the effects of online context characteristics on motivations and giving behavior of crowdfunders as well as the organizational arrangements in which crowdfunding campaigns are embedded. The central question of this research project is: which crowdfunders or project characteristics affect donation behaviour and will contribute to more effective donation-based crowdfunding projects?
The PhD student is expected to:
- Collaborate in a multidisciplinary research team;
- Organize large scale field experiments;
- Analyze behaviour in crowdfunding projects with multiple quantitative research methods;
- Write articles for international peer reviewed scientific journals;
- Write a PhD thesis;
- Contribute to some teaching tasks of the Department.
- MSc in social and/or behavioral sciences with a focus on organizational and/or philanthropic studies;
- Strong interest in field experiments;
- The PhD research candidate needs to be proficient in spoken and written English.
The initial appointment will be for 1 year. After satisfactory evaluation of the initial appointment, it can be extended for a total duration of 4 years. The candidate will participate in the PhD programme of the Faculty of Social Sciences. The research will be supervised by Prof. Dr. Marcel Veenswijk, Dr. Irma Borst (Organization Sciences) and Prof. Dr. Rene Bekkers (Center for Philanthropic Studies).
The preferred starting date is the 1st of June 2014 and no later than September 2014. You can find information about our excellent fringe benefits of employment at www.workingatvu.nl like:
- Remuneration of 8,3% end-of-year bonus and 8% holiday allowance;
- A minimum of 29 holidays In cas e of full-time employment;
- Generous contribution (70%) commuting allowance based on public transport;
- Discounts on collective insurances (healthcare- and car insurance).
The salary is â ¬ 2083,00 gross per month in the first year, increasing to â ¬ 2664,00 (salary scale 85) in the fourth year based on full-time employment.
VU University Amsterdam is one of the leading institutions for higher education in Europe and aims to be inspiring, innovative, and committed to societal welfare. It comprises twelve faculties and has teaching facilities for 25.000 students.
The Faculty of Social Sciences (FSS) is one of the larger faculties of the VU-University. Over 2700 students and more than 300 employees are engaged in teaching and research on social-science issues. The faculty has 5 bacherlor- and 7 masterprogramme’s, which are characterized by their broad and often multidisciplinary character.
The department of Organization Sciences focuses on the processes and phenomena that result in effective and efficient functioning of organizations. Among the topics studied are entrepreneurship, innovation, university-industry cooperation and valorization of research (results). For this specific research project, the department of Organization Sciences and the Center for Philanthropic Studies received a grant from the Netherlands Organization for Scientific research (NWO).
For additional information, please contact:
- Dr. Irma Borst, email: firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Prof. Dr. Marcel Veenswijk. email:email@example.com; or
- Prof. Dr. Rene Bekkers email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants are requested to write a letter in which they describe their abilities and motivation, accompanied by a curriculum vitae and one or two references. The written applications, mentioning the vacancy number in the e-mail header or at the top left of the letter and envelope, should be submitted before April 24, 2014 to:
VU University Amsterdam
Faculty of Social Sciences
to the attention of Mrs. Dr. J.G.M.Reuling, managing director
De Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Or by preferable by e-mail: email@example.com